Series: Devil's Isle #3
Published by Berkley Books on September 26th 2017
Genres: Urban Fantasy
From the New York Times bestselling author of the Chicagoland Vampires Novels--the hunter becomes the hunted in a New Orleans devastated by a Paranormal war.... When bounty hunter Liam Quinn discovered that Claire Connolly was a Sensitive and infected with magic, he should have turned her in to be locked up in the prison district known as Devil's Isle. Instead, he helped her learn to control her power and introduced her to an underground group of Paranormals and humans who know the truth about the war and those who fought it. Now the weight of Liam's own secrets has forced him into hiding. When a government agent is killed and Claire discovers that Liam is the prime suspect, she races to find him before the government can. But she'll discover proving his innocence is no simple matter. Their enemies are drawing closer, and time is running out....
I picked-up The Hunt, cautiously optimistic after finding the first two books in the series to be just “okay” and WOWZERS!! The third book in Chloe Neill’s Devil’s Isle series was the best installment to date! Full of adventure and mystery (with a dash of romance), this book flew by in no time at all.
Here’s what went down:
Claire Connolly is on the run after revealing her forbidden powers as a sensitive in The Battle of Devil’s Isle. She’s been in hiding the past month when her love interest, Liam Quinn, is falsely accused of murdering a high-ranking Devil’s Isle official. Liam fled to the Louisiana Bayous after suffering a magical blow in battle, leaving Claire questioning their relationship status. Clearing Liam’s name is more difficult than feared as the characters are dragged deep into this Devil’s Isle Murder Mystery.
What I liked:
- A New Setting: The first half of the book takes place in the Louisiana Bayou’s, making a nice change of pace from the group sneaking around Devil’s Isle or hanging around Claire’s store.
- Moses as Comic Relief: You knew you were in for it when he found the joke book in an abandoned house, but this “three feet of paranormal attitude” was a bright spot in this book. (Does he remind anyone else of Phil from Disney’s Hercules?)
- Claire Learns More about her Family: Claire was slowly discovering her father’s secrets in The Sight and she slowly starts to get closure on the mysteries surrounding him. This took me to a pretty emotional place and I may or may not have shed a few tears…
What I Wanted More Of:
- The Romance Took a Back Burner: I actually wasn’t bothered too much by this because there was so much going on, but the romance between Claire and Liam was a somewhat secondary plot throughout the book. These two are still trying to figure out their relationship status after The Battle of Devil’s Isle. However, not much progress is made until the back-half of the book.
- Malachi’s Backstory: I want to know more of Malachi’s backstory – preferably in a really good novella! He’s got this tall, dark brooding angel thing going-on and clearly has some dramatic history with “new” girl, Rachel.
- The Cliffhanger: Yep. There’s a cliffhanger on this one, but boy is it good!!
I fall more in love with Chloe Neill’s alternative, magical war-torn New Orleans with each book The Devil’s Isle series. I was originally “eh” on the first book, The Veil. However, I strongly believe that each book is only getting better and for the first time I’m anxious to see what happens in Book Four!